These blueberry and limoncello cheese filled crepes are a perfect treat for a special breakfast or dessert. Everyone will enjoy them filled with delicious ricotta flavoured with Italian limoncello and topped with blueberries.
Serves: 6 – Calories: 518kcal
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 750ml/3 cups buttermilk
- 125ml/0.5 cup milk
- 2 eggs large
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 0.5 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
For the cheese filling
- 350g / 1.5 cup farmer’s cheese or ricotta
- 0.5 cup whipping cream
- 2-3 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp Limoncello
- 1 cup blueberries
My tips for making best thin crepes
- Add the wet ingredients gradually to keep the batter lump free or use a blender.
- Use either a good non-stick frying pan or a well-seasoned cast iron pan for easy flipping.
- Bunch up one sheet of paper towel, dip it in oil and rub the the frying pan with with between each crepe.
- Do not flip a crepe until the top is dry.
- In a mixing bowl mix eggs, flour, 1 cup of buttermilk, baking soda, sugar and salt with a whisk.
- When the mixture is smooth and has no lumps add remaining buttermilk and milk. The consistency should be the same as of heavy cream.
- Let stand for 20 minutes. You should see small bubbles on the surface of your batter.
- Preheat your non-stick frying pan on medium heat and grease it with an odourless oil. ( I usually put some oil on a paper towel and rub the frying pan with it to ensure even coating.)
- With a ladle or a measuring cup pour ½ cup of batter in the pan and tilt the pan slightly so batter runs to the edges forming a thin and round crepe.
- Cook it until batter looks dry, then flip with a spatula and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove to a platter.
- Repeat with the next crepe and continue cooking until the batter is used.
- Stack the crepes on top of each other.
- In a food processor or a stand mixer combine cheese, whipping cream, icing sugar, vanilla and Limoncello until smooth.
- Fill each crepe with Limoncello cheese filling and blueberries.