- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 medium red and yellow Bartlett pears, pitted and quartered
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, or 2 tablespoons bourbon, optional.
- Good-quality ice cream
Depending on the season, pears can be replaced by peaches, nectarines, apricots or plums.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Melt the butter, and then add the pears, cut-side down, cooking until they are slightly golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and continue cooking until caramelized, another 5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla extract or bourbon, if using, and continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Divide the pears among 4 plates, garnish with a scoop of ice cream,
- Drizzle some caramel sauce