I have loved this tart since I was very young. And it is still a favourite. Egg Custard tart is an old-fashioned, southern dessert that people have been making for nearly 200 years. With a buttery crust and an egg and milk-based custard filling – and a little bit of nutmeg sprinkled on top – this pie is smooth, silky, and ridiculously rich. Try this recipe for you next dinner party. It will be a big hit with guests!
- 1 unbaked Shortcrust pie crust
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 cups whole milk (room temperature)
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, garnish
- Using room-temperature eggs and milk help with even cooking.
- You’ll be able to tell when it’s done by doing a simple jiggle test. Try gently shaking the pie pan, and if the center of the pie jiggles slightly, it’s done!
- This pie tastes and cuts best when chilled.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly spray a 9½-inch or 24cm pie pan with nonstick spray.
- Place unbaked pie crust in pie pan, pressing dough against the sides of the pie pan.
- Whisk together sugar, eggs, ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, and vanilla for 2 minutes.
- Add milk and whisk for another 3 minutes until smooth.
- Sieve if any lumps appear.
- Pour mixture into pie shell.
- Sprinkle the remaining ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg lightly on top of the custard.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until set.
- Slice and serve.
EASY CUSTARD PIE RECIPE FAQ
Can I freeze custard pie?
This classic recipe won’t freeze well. As with most dishes that contain dairy, when it is defrosted, the ingredients separate, and you lose that rich silky goodness.
Can I substitute cream for the milk in this recipe?
Any type of milk or cream will work in the recipe. The heavier the milk/cream, the creamier your pie will be.
What does egg custard pie taste like?
Egg custard pie has a velvety texture and sweet and creamy flavor.
How do I know if my egg custard pie is done?
You’ll know your custard pie is finished baking when the edges of the custard are firm and the center jiggles slightly.
Can you overcook custard pie?
A custard pie can be overbaked. Properly baked, the custard will just be barely set once finished, whereas overbaking will result in a soggy crust and scrambled eggs.
Should custard pie be jiggly?
A properly baked custard pie should have a slight jiggle to it.