Friday 3 November 2023 3:22pm –
Five people have been arrested following a spate of cars being broken into and stolen across Geelong and Surf Coast over the past month.
Detectives from Geelong’s Divisional Response Unit and Crime Investigation Unit swarmed properties across the Greater Geelong region as part of an ongoing operation targeting cars being broken into on the Surf Coast earlier this week.
Detectives executed a warrant at a Norlane property on Monday 30 October in relation to 15 cars being broken into across Torquay, Anglesea, and Ocean Grove between 19 October and 27 October.
• A 22-year-old Norlane woman was arrested and charged with 22 counts of theft from motor vehicle, two counts of obtain property by deception, criminal damage and multiple bail offences. She appeared before the Geelong Magistrates Court and was bailed to reappear at a later date.
In a separate incident, police also allege that two motor vehicles were stolen during an aggravated burglary in Newtown on Wednesday 1 November. With the assistance of Air Wing, police arrested three people and recovered four stolen vehicles.
• A 20-year-old Corio man was charged with 19 offences including two counts of aggravated burglary, four counts of theft of motor vehicle, driving while disqualified, driving in a dangerous manner, and multiple bail offences. He was remanded to appear at the Geelong Magistrates Court later in November.
• A 29-year-old Corio man was charged with nine offences including aggravated burglary, two counts of theft of motor vehicle and multiple bail offences. He was remanded to appear at the Geelong Magistrates Court later in November.
• A 28-year-old Norlane woman was charged with 10 offences including aggravated burglary, two counts of theft of motor vehicle, drive in a dangerous manner, possess a drug of dependence and multiple bail offences. She was bailed to appear before court at a later date.
Detectives also executed a search warrant at a Lara address where they recovered a camper trailer and a black Ford ranger which had been allegedly stolen earlier this year.
• A 40-year-old Lara man was arrested and charged with theft of motor vehicle. He was remanded to appear at Geelong Magistrates Court today.
Quotes attributable to Detective Acting Senior Sergeant Gavin Mullins:
“Victoria Police maintains a zero-tolerance approach towards those who roam the streets, seeking opportunities to commit crime.
“We are fully aware that stolen vehicles often lead to further criminal activities, which have absolutely no place in our community.
“While police are doing everything possible, we are urging the community to ensure they are securing their property and vehicles at all times.
“Police will continue to relentlessly target criminal behaviour in our community and ensure those responsible are brought before the courts.”