Boneless chicken breasts are stuffed with a simple cream cheese mushroom filling. They’re lightly browned and then baked until tender and juicy.
- 700g boneless skinless chicken breasts about four 170g chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon each paprika & garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 3 tablespoons white onion minced
- 170g brown or white mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine optional
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 3 tablespoons spreadable herb & garlic cream cheese
- *see notes for options
- 56g mozzarella cheese shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Place butter in a pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until slightly softened.
- Add in mushrooms and cook until juices are released and reabsorbed. Add wine and thyme. Cook until evaporated but not dry. Cool completely.
- Combine cooled mushrooms with cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 1 ½″ slit in the side of the chicken. Move the knife around creating a pocket. Fill the pocket with ¼ of the mushroom mixture. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle the chicken with paprika, garlic powder, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in an oven-proof skillet. Brown the chicken for about 3 minutes on each side until golden.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for an additional 18-22 minutes or until the chicken reaches 75°C in the thickest part.
- If using plain cream cheese, mix in garlic ½ teaspoon each garlic powder and chopped parsley and 1/8 teaspoon dried basil leaves with a dash of white pepper.
- Do not overcook the chicken, it should be cooked just until it reaches 165°F in the thickest part. I usually remove it from the oven a few degrees early as it will continue to rise as it rests.
- Let the stuffed chicken breasts rest for about 5 minutes before serving. When resting, remove it from the hot pan so it doesn’t continue cooking and dry out.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake 30-35 minutes (165°F).
Rest 5 minutes before serving.