Heidelberg West death house: South Morang teen charged
Homicide Squad detectives have charged nine males following the death of a man in Heidelberg West and the kidnapping of a man in Reservoir on 16 October.
The ninth man, a 19-year-old from South Morang, was arrested this morning at Melbourne Airport.
Detectives are not looking for anyone else in connection with the matter.
With assistance from the Mill Park Serious Crime Taskforce, the Australian Federal Police and Australian Border Force, 10 males have been arrested since 19 October as a result of 10 search warrants in Melbourne’s north, and five arrested at Melbourne Airport.
Six males have been charged with murder and kidnapping, including:
- A 17-year-old boy who was arrested at Melbourne Airport on 26 October;
- A 17-year-old boy who was arrested at Melbourne Airport on 1 November;
- A 19-year-old Preston man who was arrested on 2 November. He was remanded to appear at the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on 20 January, 2023;
- A 17-year-old boy who was arrested on 3 November, and;
- A 17-year-old boy who was arrested at Melbourne airport last night, Tuesday 15 November.
- A 19-year-old South Morang man who was arrested at Melbourne Airport on 2 December. He will face Melbourne Magistrates’ Court later today.
Those under the age of 18 will appear at a children’s court at a later date.
Three others were charged with kidnapping, including:
- An 18-year-old Heidelberg West man who was arrested at Melbourne Airport on 19 October. He was remanded to appear at the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on 12 January, 2023;
- A 16-year-old boy who was arrested on 3 November. He will appear at a children’s court at a later date, and;
- An 18-year-old Bundoora man who was arrested on 8 November. He was bailed to appear at the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on 1 March, 2023.
A 16-year-old boy was arrested on 2 November but released pending further enquiries.
The charges follow an incident on Sunday, 16 October in Heidelberg West where a man was fatally assaulted and stabbed.
Emergency services were called to North Crescent just after 3.30pm after reports of an assault.
Police will allege that up to ten offenders in two vehicles arrived at the property shortly after 3.30pm, before fatally assaulting a 25-year-old Thomastown man.
The offenders then fled in one vehicle, and a 20-year-old Reservoir man, the victim of an alleged earlier kidnapping, was located inside the remaining vehicle.
The 25-year-old Thomastown man was worked on by paramedics but died at the scene.
Quotes attributable to Detective Acting Inspector Nigel L’Estrange, Homicide Squad:
“Victoria Police is relentless in pursuing anyone responsible for this level of violence and age will be no barrier to that.
“Carrying knives will result in tragic outcomes for all parties concerned and the ramifications are severe and life changing. A young man has senselessly lost his life, and a significant number of families now face a lifetime of grieving.
“These arrests follow an exhaustive investigative effort from the Homicide Squad, supported by our partners at the Australian Federal Police and Australian Border Force, and is a testament to Victoria Police’s strong focus on holding those who commit acts of violence to account.”
“It’s critical that those who choose to engage in this kind of violent behaviour understand that they will be identified. Police will ensure that all necessary resources are utilised to identify those responsible and hold them to account.”