Are you finding it harder to do things like you used to? Do you miss getting out to the shops, the library, the park or your local café? Need help with your grocery shopping? Would you enjoy some regular company at home – to do a puzzle or crossword, look through photos, do a bit of cooking or just have a cuppa and a chat?
Council’s Older Adults Community Connection Program is expanding.
For many years, we have been helping older adults in Banyule who need one-on-one support.
Now we are excited to introduce some new ways we can support people to build and strengthen their community connections, so they can keep doing, or star t doing activities that bring a sense of purpose and fulfillment.
Our experienced community support workers can help you go places you enjoy, such as:
- the librar y, a local café, a nurser y or neighbourhood park
- the local shopping centre or village shopping strip
- events or exhibitions
- grocer y and clothes shopping
- medical and allied health appointments; or
- provide company at home if that’s more your thing.
We are also introducing home-based support for people who find it hard to get out and want
some company to do things they enjoy at home. Things like looking through photos, preparing a meal or doing a bit of light gardening together, working on an ar t or craft activity, playing a board game, going for a walk round the block.
Is this program for you?
There are many reasons people access home- based social suppor t, including:
- decrease in mobility or stamina
- limited contact with family or friends
- group activities aren’t quite your thing
- feeling isolated and disconnected after the year we’ve had and are ready now to reconnect or get out and about again.
We all need meaningful connections in life, but this means completely different things to different people. What does it mean for you? We can help you work this out.
This program is available for eligible Banyule residents aged 65+ (50+ if Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander). It is subsidised by the Commonwealth Home Support Program. Phone My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 to arrange an assessment. If you already receive Council support and are interested in some of the activities listed above, contact your Team Leader.