This simple pumpkin, spinach and walnut spaghetti makes an ideal mid-week dinner. It’s light, quick to prepare and tastes delicious. It’s vegan and can be made gluten-free too.
Simple ingredients, maximum flavours.
- 200 g spaghetti (use gluten-free if you are gluten-intolerant)
- 3 tbsp / 45 ml olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 2 cups of cubed butternut squash / pumpkin*
- about 100 g spinach
- ½-1 tsp chilli flakes (depending on level of heat and your preference)
- ½ lemon, zest and juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 30 g walnuts, finely chopped
- You can cook the butternut pumpkin ahead of time.
- Add chunks of fried chicken tenderloins for additional flavour.
- Coat cubed butternut squash in 1 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt. Bake in a 220º C / 430º F oven for about 30-35 minutes, until butternut squash turns soft and caramelised. Stir half way through baking time.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a pan. Fry garlic gently on a low-medium heat, stirring frequently so it doesn’t burn.
- Add chilli flakes. Cook for another minute or two stirring frequently.
- Cook spaghetti for a minute shorter than you would normally.
- Mash half the butternut squash with a fork or potato masher.
- Add butternut squash chunks into the pan with chilli and garlic.
- Add drained pasta and washed spinach into the pan. Incorporate them well into the pumpkin.
- Taste and season with pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice and additional salt and chilli if needed.
- Serve immediately with chopped walnuts and lemon zest on top.