Root vegetables have a sweet, earthy flavour that seems tailor-made for roasting. With sweet potatoes, (or yams), carrots, parsnip, and potatoes, this hearty mix of vegetables is sure to satisfy. Red onions and garlic cloves are added to pump up the aromatic flavor. With rosemary, thyme and a touch of cumin, these vegetables are utterly addicting.
- 400g red potatoes scrubbed clean, peel on
- 2 or 3 Carrots, Peeled & Cut Into 1 1/2-inch Pieces
- 1 or 2 Sweet Potatoes, Peeled & Cut Into 1 1/2-inch Pieces
- 2 Parsnips, Peeled & Cut Into 1 1/2-inch Pieces
- 200g Beets, Peeled & Cut Into 1 1/2-inch Pieces
- 2 Red Onions, Peeled & Cut Into 1 1/2-inch Pieces
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 6 Garlic Cloves, Thinly Sliced
- 3 Tablespoons Chopped Parsley, Rosemary or Thyme before serving
For the Dressing:
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoon Red Wine or Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Honey (To make vegan, can substitute Maple Syrup)
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with foil and spray with olive oil spray.
- Place the chopped vegetables except the garlic in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, and season well with salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat all the vegetables with the oil, then spread the vegetables on the two prepared baking sheets.
- Roast the vegetables for about 40 to 45 minutes, adding the garlic and chopped rosemary halfway, until the vegetables are tender and beginning to brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Place in a bowl or on a platter and drizzle with the vinegar and extra virgin olive oil if using.
If using red beets your other vegetables may take on a bit of red color. If you don’t want this, cook beets at one end of the pan and mix in at the end.