- 1 1/2 pounds boneless lamb shoulder or lamb stew meat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped, peeled sweet potato
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/3 cup chopped roma tomato (1 medium)
- 1/3 cup pitted whole dates, quartered
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, halved
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can chicken broth
- 3 cups hot cooked couscous
- Sliced almonds, toasted
Add all ingredients to large Crock Pot – except fresh herbs – in order listed. Turn on low and cook for 8 hours (or on high for 4).
Meanwhile, prepare couscous: I melted 2 T unsalted butter in medium saucepan over medium, then added 3 T pine nuts and stirred until the nuts were golden and toasted – you will smell their nuttiness. Add 1 c. uncooked couscous and stir to combine.
Add 1 1/4 c. water or chicken stock, stir, cover and remove from heat to let sit 5 minutes.
First stir the lamb. Scoop some couscous on your plate, then top with lamb stew.
Finish with fresh herbs.