Delicious raspberry jam sponge seeped in Drambuie syrup, sprinkled with raspberries, strawberries and blueberries and covered with a layer of gorgeous home made vanilla bean egg custard. Then topped with whipped cream and sprinkled with grated chocolate. What’s not to love about TRIFLE!
For the base;
- 1 Sara lee all butter pound cake (300g)
- 200g raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 4 tbs sherry or drambuie (optional)
For the filling;
- 1 punnet fresh raspberries
- 1 punnet of strawberries
- 1 punnet of blueberries
For the custard;
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- ½ tsp vanilla paste
For the topping;
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream (whipped to soft peak)
- 1 Cadburys chocolate flake (or 550g milk chocolate)
- ¼ cup toasted flaked almond200
- Cut the pound cake into ¾ inch slices and sandwich with the jam.
- Layer into a large glass bowl and sprinkle with the raspberries, strawkerries and blueberries.
- In a small pan, boil the sugar and water for about 5 minutes to make a syrup.
- Add the sherry (if using) to the syrup and pour over the sponge.
- Bring the 1 pint of heavy cream to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Whilst it is heating, mix the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla and cornflour together in a small bowl.
- Pour the boiling cream over the egg mix and return it to the pan.
- Stir over a low heat until it just starts to thicken. Don’t over cook.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly before pouring over the sponge.
- Refrigerate the trifle until the custard has set.
- Then spoon the whipped cream over the top of the custard.
- Decorate with the chocolate flake or grated chocolate and almonds.